Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mama, don't let your babies....

Grow up to be cowboys...



The boys came out Thursday for two days of riding horses and four-wheelers, fishing at the pond, and hanging out with Poppy and Grammy. I worked Thursday, so Poppy was in charge. Thankfully, it wasn't as hot as it has been. Friday morning we got up to go pony riding before the flies got too active. I told Gage that Lucy, the black pony, would follow Flicka, the chestnut I would ride, on the trails. She sometimes pokes along when we lead them back to graze the clearings, and then she rushes to catch up. I warned him that she might just decide she was too far behind and speed up suddenly on her own. She wouldn't run off or anything, and Gage should just hang on. I wasn't considering Gage's "need for speed." He was holding her back and then encouraging her to catch up. I only saw her trot fast. Heaven help her when Gage discovers cantering. She is not likely to be a happy pony. After we rode around a while, Lane came walking along the trail and joined us. He asked his brother if he could ride the pony.
Lane has a bit of an equitation history. Back when he was about 3 years old, we took him to a Pecan Festival at a nearby town. There were pony rides for kids. Lane said he wanted to go on the ride, so we paid the man and chose a likely looking mount. We sat Lane on the pony, and the screaming started. No ride gonna happen! Last year when I led Gage around on Lucy ( I wasn't sure if she had been ridden outside of a pony ride situation), Lane asked if he could get on her. He is more inclined to do stuff if his younger brother has done it first. So, I put a larger saddle on her for him. He got on her, she took about two steps, and Lane said, "OK, that's enough! I'm done!" He did get on her again this spring after I had a boy from the school take the pony and ride her for a few weeks to be sure she was safe. Gage had been riding her around the yard, and all went well. I didn't change the saddle, and Lane climbed aboard. He's way too big for the pony, so I asked him if he wanted to ride Flicka ( she's POA, about 13 hands high, which is about 52"). He declined, but did ride Lucy around a bit. Fastforward a few months....
He kept asking Gage if he could ride, and Gage would only say, "Maybe..." Lane followed us around awhile, all the way up to the 10 acres. I asked him if he wanted to ride Flicka, and I would walk back. Imagine my surprise when he said ,"OK." I guess he had watched enough to decide that she wasn't crazed. He mounted up, and I just walked along at her head. I had told him that it would be easier for him to ride a larger animal, but I guess he thought I was messin' with him. Me?? Anyway, had to get pictures of the groundbreaking experience.
Friday night I went to a class reunion of one of my students' classes, the class of 1989. I had known these kids from their 8th grade year until their graduation from high school. There were 18 in the graduating class. This was why I loved the small schools. In large urban high schools such as the one I attended, teachers and students aren't particularly close since one generally has students one year, and then they move on, depending on the subject matter. I taught English, where this would most often have been the case. At small schools, I had the opportunity to have students year after year and watch their progress. They were definitely "my kids." The reunion was great! I really enjoyed seeing them and their families.
Saturday morning we met Brian as we were on the way to Larry's sister's pool party. Brian had finished some work on his jeep and was on the way to do some wheelin' to check it out. Next weekend there is a bike and jeep rally at a nearby off-road park. Check in for pictures of the rigs! No pictures of the adult entertainment, though. Soooo sorry..... It was great seeing all the friends and family, especially the nieces and nephew "all growed up." The party wasn't as wild as some have been in the past. Probably due to advancing age of the attendees. Hey, it is what it is....

No comments:

Post a Comment